Polls show Catholics favor stricter gun control laws more than members of any other denomination, yet some wonder why it seems church leaders don’t say much about the issue. Below are 16 church leaders who have indeed taken a public stand. This is by no means an exhaustive list. In the comments section, add the names of others who are making the church’s view known.
2.The US Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) released a statement.
3. Cardinal Timothy Dolan, archbishop of New York, expressed support to Vice President Joe Biden.
4. Rev. Larry Snyder, president of Catholic Charities USA.
5. Sr. Carol Keehan, DC, president and CEO of the Catholic Health Association.
6. Sr. Simone Campbell, president of NETWORK and of the ‘Nuns on the Bus’ fame.
7. Bishop Stephen Blaire, of the Diocese of Stockton (CA).
9. Bishop John Wester of the Diocese of Salt Lake City.
10. Bishop Kevin C. Rhoades of Fort Wayne-South Bend, Indiana.
11. Bishop Thomas Tobin of the Diocese of Providence.
12. Rev. Jonathan DeFelice, OSB, president of Saint Anselm College.
13. Rev. Peter Donohue, president of Villanova University.
15. Sr. Janet Mock, CSJ, executive director of the Leadership Conference of Women Religious (LCWR).
Michael J. O'Loughlin