Loading...
Loading...
Click here if you don’t see subscription options
Religion News ServiceApril 07, 2014

Pope Francis has approved a new direction for the scandal-ridden Vatican bank as it seeks to improve transparency and compliance with international guidelines, the Vatican said on April 7.

The bank, known as the Institute for Religious Works, was founded in 1942 to manage funds for Roman Catholic institutions, Vatican employees and clergy but has been plagued by allegations of money laundering and Mafia links for decades.

The pope’s statement ended months of speculation about the troubled bank’s future and endorsed a proposal developed by Cardinal George Pell, head of the Vatican’s new Secretariat for the Economy.

“The IOR will continue to serve with prudence and provide specialized financial services to the Catholic Church worldwide,” the Vatican said in a statement released on behalf of the pope on April 7.

Ernst von Freyberg, president of the IOR, will work with bank management to finalize changes that fulfill the Vatican’s new financial structures, the statement said.

The pope identified the bank as a key target of reforms after his election last year and had not ruled out its closure if it was unable to conform to international standards of transparency and accountability.

Last year the bank published details of its accounts for the first time and a team of experts from the Promontory Financial Group, a regulatory compliance consulting firm, began screening the 19,000 accounts held by the bank looking for signs of money laundering and other crimes.

The Vatican bank has struggled to clean up its image since Roberto Calvi, dubbed “God’s banker” because of his dealings with it, was found hanging beneath Blackfriars Bridge in London in 1982 in a suspected Mafia killing.

More recently the bank’s former president, Ettore Gotti Tedeschi, was sacked in 2012 after Italian prosecutors seized 23 million euros ($29 million) from a Rome bank account registered to the IOR amid suspicions of money laundering.

Now Monsignor Nunzio Scarano, a former Vatican accountant with close links to the IOR, is facing trial on charges of money laundering and allegedly plotting to smuggle millions of dollars from Switzerland into Italy in a tax-dodging scheme.

Paolo Cipriani and Massimo Tulli, the former director and deputy director at IOR, who resigned in July after Scarano’s arrest, have also been ordered to stand trial on charges of violating anti-money laundering norms.

The pope’s approval “represents for us a strong accreditation, a great recognition of the importance of our mission and service work done in the last 12 months,” said IOR spokesman Max Hohenberg, in a statement.

Comments are automatically closed two weeks after an article's initial publication. See our comments policy for more.
geoffrey o'connell
11 years ago
I always argued the church should have be in Dublin !! Also this is why I don't give to Peter's Pence and the Bishop's appeal, while I pay for Catholic school busing.

The latest from america

Pope Francis greets the faithful in St. Peter's Square at the end of the closing Mass for the Jubilee of the Sick and Health Care Workers at the Vatican on April 6, 2025. (CNS photo/Pablo Esparza)
Pope Francis arrived in a wheelchair at the end of the Mass for the Jubilee of the Sick and Health Care Workers, sparking joyous shouts of “Viva il Papa!” from the more than 20,000 present.
Gerard O’ConnellApril 06, 2025
McCarrick had been removed from ministry at the direction of the Vatican in June 2018 due to a credible allegation of sexual abuse of a teenager investigated by the Archdiocese of New York.
Jay Sefton in ‘Unreconciled’ (barebones theater company)
”Unreconciled” looks abuse, disregard and callousness in the eye and witnesses instead to radical kindness.
Elise L. RyanApril 04, 2025
‘A Man Escaped’ is a story of a man seeking temporal salvation, but Robert Bresson’s film takes on deeper meaning, becoming a parable of the Spirit.
John DoughertyApril 04, 2025