Loading...
Loading...
Click here if you don’t see subscription options
August 17, 2009

A Catholic archbishop said Christians in the Indian state of Orissa are becoming more fearful with the approach of the first anniversary of the anti-Christian violence they experienced. Archbishop Raphael Cheenath of Cuttack-Bhubaneswar said that Christians are tense after an Aug. 6 attack on Chikusagar Nayak, who works with the archdiocese's justice and peace commission in the Kandhamal district, the center of last year's violence. Nayak suffered a broken arm in the attack. Cheenath said people are afraid because "hard-core criminals are still on the loose." The prelate said only a few people accused in last year's violence have been arrested. Some of them have even been acquitted for lack of sufficient evidence and are threatening victims and witnesses, he added. He also said people are reluctant to move from relief camps where they have been living for a year.

Comments are automatically closed two weeks after an article's initial publication. See our comments policy for more.

The latest from america

A Reflection for Thursday of the Fifth Week of Lent, by Ashley McKinless
Ashley McKinlessApril 02, 2025
A Homily for the Fifth Sunday of Lent, Father Terrance Klein
Terrance KleinApril 02, 2025
During his long and fruitful pontificate, St. John Paul II embraced the entire world, which stands yet again in need of his blessing, Cardinal Pietro Parolin said.
Father Marko Rupnik, a well-known priest and artist, has been accused of sexually, spiritually and psychologically abusing more than 20 women.