Loading...
Loading...
Click here if you don’t see subscription options
Associated Press November 07, 2017
(WikiCommons)

SOUTH BEND, Ind. (AP) — The University of Notre Dame is reversing itself and now telling employees they will continue to receive no-cost birth control coverage.

The Roman Catholic university sent an email Tuesday to faculty and staff saying its health insurance provider is offering contraception coverage not funded by the university.

Last week, Notre Dame said no-cost contraception coverage would end for staff and faculty on Jan. 1. That step came after a decision by President Donald Trump's administration that allowed employers to cite religious objections in order to end birth control coverage available under the Affordable Care Act.

Notre Dame said Tuesday it follows Catholic teaching against the use of birth control, but that the school won't interfere with the contraception coverage because of the "plurality of religious and other convictions among its employees."

Comments are automatically closed two weeks after an article's initial publication. See our comments policy for more.

The latest from america

A Reflection for Thursday of the Fifth Week of Lent, by Ashley McKinless
Ashley McKinlessApril 02, 2025
A Homily for the Fifth Sunday of Lent, Father Terrance Klein
Terrance KleinApril 02, 2025
During his long and fruitful pontificate, St. John Paul II embraced the entire world, which stands yet again in need of his blessing, Cardinal Pietro Parolin said.
Father Marko Rupnik, a well-known priest and artist, has been accused of sexually, spiritually and psychologically abusing more than 20 women.